What type of work is involved in a reconstruction?

    The proposed reconstruction will include full-depth asphalt removal, full curb removal and replacement, storm sewer repairs and full width asphalt resurfacing.  Restorations will include driveways (full aprons, curb to sidewalk and full width to the damaged limits) and all damaged grassed areas restored with topsoil and sod. 

    The project will include the installation of a new signalized pedestrian crossing at the intersection of Queen Street & Acton Boulevard.

    Enhancing residents’ quality of life by improving road conditions and road safety for many years to come is a priority capital investment for the Town.

    When will the work start?

    Anticipated start date of spring 2021.

    Construction starting dates are project-specific and weather dependent and all work will be managed and administered by the Design and Construction Section, Transportation and Public Works Department.

    Written notices to affected residences will be provided prior to any work commencing.

    What is the anticipated duration of the work?

    The work will take approximately four to six months. Residents will be notified in writing prior to any work commencing.

    What if work is delayed?

    The Town will provide on-going communications with homeowners including mailed or hand-delivered notices with information of any major delays and next steps.

    Will my property be affected by the work?

    Not all properties will be affected. A pre-engineering review is completed ahead of the project to determine required repairs based on surface drainage concerns and storm sewer condition. 

    The work includes curb removal and re-grading, and for the most part, the only area that may be affected will be to the front edge of the existing sidewalk. Entire asphalt driveway aprons will be repaved.  

    Topsoil and sod will be used in all grass areas for restoration

    Who maintains the new sod?

    The contractor is responsible for watering new sod for 30 days or until it has taken root. Once the Town has reviewed the performance of the sod and confirmed it is healthy and actively growing, the homeowner will be notified by letter of their responsibility for the on-going sod maintenance, including a “New Turf Maintenance” fact sheet.

    Are sidewalks to be removed and replaced?

    Sidewalk removal and replacement falls under Town’s Public Works maintenance program (unless specifically identified on the drawings), however, any sidewalk bays damaged by curb removal through these projects will be replaced.

    Will the roads be open during construction?

    The roads will be open to all local traffic with lane restrictions. Appropriate traffic control measures will be in place for safe movement of traffic. Efforts will be taken to minimize delays as much as possible.

    Will access to my property be disrupted?

    The most disruptive activity will be concrete curb pouring.  Homeowners can expect to be restricted from access to affected driveways for a minimum of 48 hours.  A notice regarding access restrictions will be provided the day before verbally or written and placed on doors.

    What if there is restriction of access to the street for Emergency Services?

    A Notice of Construction is provided to all emergency services prior to construction.  The contractor is responsible for maintaining access at all times during construction.  If access is blocked, on-site staff will notify all emergency services.

    What types of disruption can residents expect?

    While the Town strives to minimize disruption for residents and businesses, there will be some noise, dust and vibration as part of the construction process. Access to driveways may be temporarily blocked at certain times during construction.  

    What is being done to minimize disruption?

    A Town site inspector is assigned to the work area to monitor the project’s progress. Residents encountering issues or requiring information about the project can contact Town staff.

    What should I do with my waste receptacles?

    Halton Region is responsible for garbage collection. Please place your garbage, blue box and green cart out on your usual collection day.   

    It is the contractor’s responsibility to move these materials to a location where they can be accessed by the collection vehicles. Residents are advised to place their house number on the bins during construction.

    What are the typical working hours for construction?

    Contractors are asked to work between the hours of 7 a.m. and 6 p.m. In order to make the site safe and for unforeseen circumstances, contractors may extend their hours of work during off-peak times.

    There is a by-law in place which indicates the hours when noise is permitted.  See By-law 2010-0030 – Noise Regulation at haltonhills.ca/bylaws